Thursday, September 27, 2012

Slow going with the hammock

Things have slowed down a lot with the hammock since the summer ended.  My wife went back to work leaving me in charge of our son during the day, and work or school at night.  Every week I try to take a couple of hours in the evening to work on the hammock, but lately it's been every two weeks.

I've completely woven in the produce spools to one end.  I took the end pieces and put two narrow holes so the straps could be woven through to anchor the ends.  If I didn't do anything I would imagine that with time and use they would work themselves out of the weave.

I estimate that in three more sessions (setting up, working, then cleaning up) I'll be ready to string the rope through.  So close to done, but the good weather is slipping away.
Spring paper clip

I figured out how to make a clasp for one of the purses I made with the straps, and gave it to a friend who is leaving my work.  She's transferring to another location, but I thought it would be nice to give her one with some chocolates we brought back from Switzerland this summer.  I used a paperclip to do it.  Not a regular paperclip, but a spring type paperclip.  I had to investigate the name of the paperclip on google to know what to call it.  They're like alligator clips, but with a black triangle thing that opens and closes on the paper.  They're incredibly common but I don't think I ever knew the name for them.  My wife has some that are gold in color; I used a gold clip with an all pink purse.


I cut a horizontal slit on one side with the dremel, wide enough for a strap to fit through.  I wove it in near the top of the purse and removed one of the wires used to open the paper clip.  The purse still bulges open to either side of the clip, but it keeps it closed pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment